Sunday, February 26, 2012

people with special needs like knitting too...

So as I'm pretty sure I've stated before, I work in the mental health field.  I work at an adult day program with people who have both mental disorders and disabilities.  One thing that some of them enjoy doing, is using the Knifty Knitter looms that I introduced them to (with the encouragement from my boss).  I have ONE out of like 30 clients who can actually knit, and enjoys it.  She said to me the other day "I want to knit with the two needles, not the round thing".  She simply needs you to help her when she starts and finishes a row, other than that, she does everything herself.  Totally proud of her too, because we can't get her to do much that requires sitting, she likes to pace the hall and smoke...
The reason I bring this up in my blog today, and I'm not talking about the blanket I still haven't finished... is because I'm trying to find ways to help the others in trying to knit, crochet, use the Knifty Knitter looms, etc... So I googled knitting and special needs, and I googled special needs knitting, and tons of other variations... and have found NOTHING.   I only found stuff about donating to the special Olympics and the typical knitting sites...
I'm currently working on a contraption to assist people with special needs in fiber crafts, and once my dad and me both have time to buy the stuff to build the one, I want to try it out at work to see how it works out.  But I'm kind of shocked that I can't find anything pertaining to special needs and crafts, especially since most people with Autism and OCD or even just repetition being something they enjoy and helps them in their daily life.  My clients love working on crafty stuff in my room, cross stitch, knitting, crocheting, using the round looms, they love it.  Most of them can't follow patterns because they want things to be the way they want it to go, but they still enjoy the repetitive motion.  I'm going to continue to search, and hopefully find some adaptive equipment that isn't JUST for sensory integration and traditional therapy stuff.

OFF TO KNIT!  totally spent most of the day googling about knitting and special needs...

No comments:

Post a Comment